Do you have mould on the grouting in your kitchen or bathroom? Mould can be a common problem in any house, flat or bungalow especially if you have a build up of condensation along with humid, damp conditions.

Usually if mould has started to take hold in your home you will be able to smell it, even if you cannot see it. And if you can smell it then you need to remove it. In a moist environment the mould will grow and spread across your walls, floors and ceilings, wherever there are damp conditions. Along with your bathroom and kitchen you may find it growing in utility rooms, garages and on the surfaces of outside walls.

A common place for mould to grow in your home is on the grouted surfaces between tiles. With the huge amount of moisture that can collect on tiles in bathrooms and kitchens it is no surprise that, without enough ventilation, mould will take hold in the grout. If these mouldy areas are allowed to spread you may find that members of the household suffer from specific illnesses related to the fungus growth.

How to Remove Mould from Grout

Whatever product you use to clean the mould from the grout and tiles do check first that it wont cause any damage to the surfaces. This is especially true when using bleach related cleaning products or baking soda which can be abrasive.

Make sure that before you start cleaning that you have opened the doors and windows to ventilate the room and think about using gloves and safety glasses to protect your hands and eyes.  If you are using bleach products then you may also want to wear a mask.

You will need to work the bleach into small areas of the grout with a toothbrush or similar stiff bristled brush, rubbing it directly onto the mould. Do not use bleach on coloured grouts as it can alter the colour. For best results let the bleach sit for up to 30 minutes before you rinse the area with warm water. Depending on the initial results you may need to repeat the cleaning.

You can also use distilled white vinegar as this will not cause any change in colour to the grout. Simply use a spray bottle to soak the mould and leave it for at least half an hour. Use your brush to scrub at the mould and then re-spray and leave for another half an hour. Again repeat the process if the mould isn’t completely removed.

If you add a few teaspoons full of water to half a cup of baking soda you can make a paste to apply to the damaged grout. Add enough water to make an easy to spread paste and cover the mouldy area with it. Leave it for around 10 minutes and then use your brush to scrub it away and rinse with water. Repeat if the mould is still visible on the grout.

If you find that these methods are not enough to clean your surfaces then do contact us as we do offer deep cleaning services for home and commercial premises.