Tomorrow is Bonfire night ….
Whether you are hosting a bonfire party at home or going to a locally ‘organised’ bonfire and fireworks display they are great way to get together with family and have fun.
One element people don’t always consider is how much extra mess could be created in their home especially with people walking in and out with muddy shoes and boots.
Here are our top 10 tips for a mess free bonfire night:
- Ideally ask everyone to remove shoes and boots before stepping into your home.
- In cases where people are in and out put down non-slip matting at entrances to prevent the onward transit of mud, grit and moisture onto your carpet or hard floor.
- Wherever possible make these mats 2 footfalls of both feet before they reach your main floor as this ensures the worst falls off.
- Set up tables of food and drink in hard floor areas to prevent spillage of sausages, tomato ketchup and red wine!
- Better still if the weather is mild and dry get them to eat and drink outside! Or use an outbuilding (garage, shed to layout food – limiting foot fall into your home)
- If you have a stain on a carpet blot it to remove excess, never rub, work inward to limit damage, always use cool water, never hot as this will set some colours. If you have no stain removal products to hand a dab of vodka or gin is one of the safest products that you can try.
- Never light fireworks or sparklers in the home – this is not only dangerous to human life but sparks can quickly turn into a fire potentially making your home the largest bonfire in the area! (Our Disaster Restoration team can help but we prefer to prevent a fire!)
- Keep pets indoors – but also consider what mess they may make through anxiety and stress such as wetting themselves, tearing up soft furnishings. Ideally put them somewhere where they are familiar, they can’t get out of (or be let out of by accident), where damage can be limited (or cleaned up quickly) and make sure you check them regularly.
- Red wine stain? use soda water to flush the wine from the carpet fibres.
- Bonfire night is the bad ‘guys’ favourite night to mess peoples’ homes up and turn a fun evening into misery. Burglary increases by 22% compared with a typical day according to insurance specialist Aviva. So lock your windows, doors and outbuildings.
Here at ServiceMaster Clean Devon we hope you have a fun, safe and mess free Bonfire night.
As professional carpet, floor and furniture cleaners we provide FREE over the phone advice on removing stains. To find out more contact the office on 0800 018 5550 or firstname.lastname@example.org for a free no obligation quote.