Autumn is creeping in upon us and for most of us it’s a time when we retreat back indoors, especially as the evenings become darker and colder. It is a time when our living rooms once again take centre stage as we light the fire, watch TV, read, and settle down with a mug of hot chocolate to chat with friends and family.
How we feel about our living space is very important and whilst the days are still warm and dry, it’s a great time to get on with some Autumn Cleaning in order to make your home cosier, fresher and cleaner.
Some top tips to get your ‘Autumn Cleaning’ started:
- Inspect external facing doors and windows to ensure they are closing properly and are weather proof, also where necessary install weather stripping. Give windows and glass doors a good clean so that you maximise on the amount of natural light coming into your home.
- Have wood-burning fireplaces, stove flues, and open fire chimneys professionally inspected and swept before you light your first fire to remove any debris (or even any birds nests!). Remember to test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working properly.
- Give rugs and mats a good clean, especially at entry points to the home as people will often bring grit and dirt in from the outside which can damage hard floors and stain carpets.
- As you go from room to room take time to vacuum underneath and behind furniture, and use this time to check for any repairs that need to be done. To maximise freshness get your carpets and rugs professionally cleaned.
- Get your boiler serviced and make sure radiators are running properly.
- Create more space in your kitchen by cleaning counters and packing away any appliances that are not used regularly.
- Give lights and lampshades a good clean and replaces bulbs where necessary. Also vacuum curtains and drapes, or if they could do with a thorough clean consider getting them professionally cleaned.
- Stock up your store cupboard with winter essentials such as light bulbs, firelighters, and candles, and order in winter fuel, logs and coal before it gets cold.
- Check hoses on dishwashers, washing machines, tumble dryers, sinks and refrigerators for bulges, cracks or splits and replace as required. Also dust and clean TVs, microwaves and other electronic goods using the brush attachment on a vacuum or a soft cloth.
- If your upholstery is looking like it could do with a good clean make sure you follow the manufacturer’s instructions or consider getting it professionally cleaned to make your room feel really fresh and clean.
Need professional help? At ServiceMaster Clean Devon we can help with the cleaning of carpets, rugs, upholstery, curtains and even mattresses. We even specialise in cleaning those high, difficult to reach areas such as staircases and windows.
We also give FREE phone advice and FREE quotes. To find out more give Leanne a call on 0800 018 5550.