Fire safety in the home or workplace is something we shouldn’t take for granted. Even with the cold weather we are currently experiencing there are regular reports of fires in residential and business locations. With our Disaster service we have not only seen the damage caused by fire but also the heartache for those involved.

Our homes and offices are safer these days with more rules, regulations and awareness of the risk of fire. These days more and more items have to be made from fire retardant materials and there are greater fire risk tests on appliances and products. Since 2009 the number of incidents attended by the Fire and Rescue Services, across Great Britain, has continued to fall. In 2009/2010 there were 830,161 incidents, this number fell by almost 26% in 2014/2015 with the fire service attending 617,080 incidents. But we still need be to careful.

In our homes and offices we have seen more and more technological items creep into our daily lives that we tend to leave switched on longer and left unattended. Phone and tablet chargers are left plugged in, often overnight and there are more devices that not only get very warm due to their hi-tech batteries but are plugged into multi plug sockets. All these can be a risk.

A Fire Safety Checklist

What we all should make sure we have, at home and at work too, is a comprehensive fire safety checklist.  On this list you should have ‘systems’ or ‘rules’ – basically a set of reminders that should help reduce any risk of fire in your house or workplace.

Here are a few fire safety tips to get you started. It is far easier to work from a list then try and remember. How many times have you shopped for food without a list and forgotten something? This list may well save your life.

  • Have an escape route/plan in case of a fire.
  • Fit smoke detectors if you haven’t any!!
  • Check your smoke detectors work at least every 3 months.
  • Switch off and unplug electrical devices when they are not being used
  • Do not leave chargers on when you leave the house.
  • Be very careful with candles – extinguish them if you are leaving the room
  • Don’t leave the oven on when you leave the house – especially with a frozen chicken in it!

Yes a true story caused by a student – they turned the oven up to full to thaw and cook the chicken, then went out. Luckily the heat and smoke detectors went off ….but the chicken didn’t make it.